April 20, 2009

Life Happens

Everything is lining itself up nicely for a wonderful afternoon jog today and tomorrow.

70+ degree weather. Check.
Physically able. Check.
Emotionally ready. Check.
Motivation on high. Check.
Time to run? Not going to happen. Not today. Not tomorrow. Ugh. Life Happens.

Take today for example: Get home at 4, pay bills, mail off client's pictures, clean up from a party at the house yesterday, edit 5 photo shoots worth of material (over 1000 images), post on the blog (not this one), eat dinner, call the guy that hit our car (again!), grocery shopping, refinish the changing table (yes! Still working on that!), rehang the shelf in the baby room, patch 6 holes in the wall, hang a new light, work in the yard and then it's time for bed. Yes, you're right…too much!

I've been contemplating the morning runs now. I'm out of time, I have no other good time to get out there and take care of business…I've always been an afternoon/evening runner. I've gotten out on the rare morning occasion but it was usually around 9:30 not 4:30/5 like I’m planning now. If I time it right I will be getting back home right about the time I normally roll out of bed. I'm out of ideas because life is coming at me full force these days.

I've written many times about prioritizing your life and making time for a jog or a workout but the 30 - 1 hour blocks are very hard to come by these days. I'd love it if any of you have any other ideas how I can free up some time?!

4 comments:

  1. Well, the good news is it's not raining right now & we have no plans tonight:) Looks like you're on!!
    Love, Your Wife:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jefe -

    When life gets really hectic - here is what I do:

    I make a list of expectations I have for myself. They most often pertain to the kids, ideally I try to understand where the expectation comes from.

    I toss to the side anything I can't control - for me - paying the bills, feeding and changing the kids, taking the kids to school, picking them up, Dr's appointments. I stop worry about how I am going to get those done - they are givens and have to be done regardless.

    I revisit my list -
    * I check off the tasks that are elective - they vary week to week for me - maybe I can slide a few to later in the week when it's less hectic.

    * If I could remove one of these tasks which would it be?

    * If I had one more hour in my day, how would I spend it? I would knit.

    I go through and do a mental tally of my lowest priorities - do I have to really pick up Italian Parsley from the store for dinner tonight, those 10 loads of laundry are not mission critical, would Steve or the kids like to knock some items off for me if I ask... yada yada.

    Ideally if it makes you feel at your best to run - workout then you have to make it a top priority. Only then you can be at your best doing the rest of the have to-do's in your busy schedule.

    Good luck Jefe!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sal is the sweetest wife ever - When did someone hit your car? It's been ages since the last time we all got together. Here's to having dinner at our place this weekend!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. for the record... I didn't go jogging that night. But, we finished all the baby room stuff and now we have the glider to mess with! Thanks again, Nicole! Thanks for the prioritizing ideas...it's always helpful to hear other ideas:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails