March 2, 2009

A Different kind of Dumbbell Workout

If you search around enough for what to do with those rusty dumbbell's sitting in your garage, you'll undoubtedly come across this article. I've come across it numerous times, saw it on Men's Health's website (and magazine) and I even went as far as trying them out without a dumbbell (just to see if it was worth my time.) Ok, my time? Really?! Today I got home and couldn't decide what type of workout I wanted to do. I clicked on MSN for some inspiration (seems so illogical) and came across this, again. 

Today I decided to stop being lazy and give it a try. The whole routine is done with the same dumbbell, without stopping between movements...you get 2 minutes rest between the 4-movement set and then go at it again (3-4 times). 

I started easy with a 15 lb'er and realized that I was wussing out...I stepped up to a 20 lb'er and for my final set I busted out a 25.  I found it was actually easier to stay in form with a little more resistance...but that's me, do what works for you!  

The link to one of the many places you can find this article is HERE, I also attached the pictures for you, because, well...I like you guys;)




By the end of this I was sweating. Then a few minutes later my body just tightened up.  These are all very good examples of functional training (I'm not sure if it's called that)...but doing movements that you use in every day life to build up your core stability will help prevent many injuries! Try it out and let me know if you liked it! 

2 comments:

  1. OK..so I have a suggestion for you. I bought a new belt when I was home a week ago. I made a mistake and bought one of those "braided" ones without holes instead of a solid leather one with holes. Not a good idea. It made it impossible to see from day to day how I was doing. Those belts stretch and you never seem to get it in the same place. This might all sound dumb but that belt is in the drawer and I bought a new solid one down here. That's all....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...I totally get it, those braided belts suck for a good measure of how you are doing. Another good way to see how you are doing is washing your jeans (or shorts since you are actually in good weather) and if after you wash them they are still baggy then you've probably slimmed donw:) That's what I'm finding more and more now! I just washed my jeans in hot water and dried them on high and they were baggy when I put them on! Those are 36" too! Crazy!

    My belt looks so dumb now...I think that'll be a good next purchase for me. Hey, you have got to try that workout dad...it's amazing, truly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails