March 4, 2009

Optimism

I live with an eternal optimist.  She sees the possibility of goodness in every situation, every single person in every area of our lives.  As I have been thinking about optimism lately I came to wonder if people are predestined to be optimistic or pessimistic.  Kind of a lame thought if you got stuck on the half empty side!  As I've read more and more about it and have searched my life for examples I've concluded that we have a choice everyday whether or not we are going to look at something through rose colored glass or not.  I don't know about you but I vary widely from day to day, maybe that's my innate sense of over-dramatizing things, or is it over-analyzing things and reacting too sensitively to the analysis?! 

I have found that living with a person like Sally has helped me see greater potential in what I can achieve. Optimists tend to make many, many plans and truly think that they can achieve all these goals. They crazy thing is, they usually do. Being optimistic can piss off pessimists. I know because I used to wallow in my own bouts of pessimism like a pig in mud pulling any and everyone down around me because so and so was achieving something I would rather not hear about. Yeah, wow. But for the most part I'm a pretty positive guy, in fact, I'd say I'm optimistic.  

Especially now. As the weight came off and I fought through those days when I thought it was a waste of time or I thought I was destined to be a fat guy forever an amazing transformation took place within me. I became optimistic. I now believe in myself and I believe that if I make a goal I will achieve it. It is a powerful thing and it's very contagious! I'm lucky to have someone like Sally around me at all times reminding me that I can do it and most importantly that I WILL do it. 

I found a few articles about Optimism and it's benefits on our health and well-being. Very interesting stuff. Check it out if you are interested. Here, here & here.

And...if you are needing an inspiring quote or two on any topic go to this great site: ThinkExist

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." ~Winston Churchill 


4 comments:

  1. Dear Son in Law Jeff;
    I am so happy that you are so happy. Congratulations on your progress, and thanks for loving my daughter so much. Hope to see you both (three) soon.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    I can see your outlook on life changing with having Sal as your wife. You have done a tremendous job with your weight loss and it will help you with everything in your life ahead. I am so proud of you, I just hope to be there myself someday. You and Sal (#1.5) make a great team!!!
    Love Ya , Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your post this morning and one quote came to mind from A Farewell to Arms…
    “The world breaks everyone and afterward some are strong at the broken places.”
    Ernest Hemingway

    What a team you and Sally are. I wish you continued success and happiness!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all of you! It feels good to be optimistic...I'm not always happy but it's easier to be unhappy and optimistic than happy and pessimistic.

    Mom Cheri...loving your daughter is EASY!

    Dad...thanks for all the love and support, I know you will do it, too! Just keep pluggin' away:)

    Wendy...love Hemingway! He has a way with words, I can't wait to read that one. I read For Whom the Bell Tolls recently, loved it! Thanks for all the well wishes:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails