March 23, 2009

Rolling with the Metaphors

My back is 75% now…it actually feels like 85% but I'm allowing for 10% failure rate because I'm at the point where my mind is saying it's good to go but one move in the wrong direction could have me laid up again. I was having a tough time this week getting myself motivated to try anything…I figured some rest has got to be good for me!

Lately, when I hit a lull like this I've gotten a friendly kick in the backside and/or reminder to keep on plugging away! I have heard from a lot of you recently during these tweaked back days and I really appreciate it. Last post I mentioned a metaphor that I wrote to Dennis…well, he wrote back. He sent me a metaphor that got me to think about those times when you are either in a lull or incapacitated in some way. Dennis and I write back and forth to keep each other motivated and it works! Lately I've been talking the talk but he's walking the walk. 4 of 8 days he has done his routine and is just killin' it, good stuff. Wish I could say the same.

The metaphor was a good one, it reminded me that I can keep going through motions to not lose the "fire" I've built over these many months. He simply titled it "Pilot Light". During an email to him I told him that I was going crazy driving on my running route and that I really missed all those things that I physically can't do at the moment. He countered with giving me a few non-impactful exercises I could do that would isolate all movement away from my back…then said "why pilot light? I guess, because it's something to keep the fire burning until you come bursting back, exploding onto the scene with full speed and power…" So basically he just reminded me to go through the motions, do a little careful exercise to not lose the momentum I've worked so hard to gain!

3 comments:

  1. You've helped inspire me Jeff!

    I've been slipping off the road lately but getting back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff,

    I am really glad that your back is feeling better. There is nothing worse than back pain.

    I really like the metaphor, "Pilot Light." That's brilliant!
    From Wikipedia:
    "A pilot light is a small gas flame, usually natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas, which is kept alight in order to serve as an ignition source for a more powerful gas burner."

    You have inspired me to pick up my work-outs again and get back on track with eating. After all, summer is just around the corner! This blog is great inspiration to me! Thanks, Jeff!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys, the feeling is mutual:) Writing this has opened my eyes to all the inspiration I have around me. I'm humbled that I can inspire... we all need someone or something to keep us going!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails