March 1, 2009

TMI : Too Much Information

The other day I was talking to a co-worker about my weight loss.  Normally I don't talk about much at work except work but lately I've been chatting more about my personal life. With baby on the way and an obvious change in my appearance it's hard to escape it!  The girl I was talking to had so many questions and wanted to know exactly what it was that I did in order to lose as much as I have. I swear not everything has been so cut and dry as I've made these last few posts seem but I really did have two distinct thoughts while I was listening to her. 

The first is that there is just too much conflicting information at our fingertips these days. I recognized this early on as she was telling me how she's doing this and that and not eating this but eating that and so on and so on (a run-on sentence is best in describing how the actual conversation went!).  I began thinking of how I sifted through all the information grasping onto what turned out to be useful nuggets. Exhausting! One day it's okay to do this then the next day it will lead to certain death. We are so fortunate to have information but maybe it's all the information that makes us quit prematurely? Just a thought...which actually led to my next thought. (which is...)

Clearly, we are all different people. Different shapes, different sizes, different ideas of how it should be done and most importantly we will require our own special code that must be cracked. Once you crack your own code you are in the money, trust me! It was easy to realize that I overate, it was difficult to figure out how to limit my portions and stick to it. It was super easy to realize that I didn't work out enough and it was a helluva lot harder to not only start but keep up a regimented exercise routine. 

Don't get me wrong...I don't have it all figured out, I still struggle with many things that life throws at me!  I just realized though, after talking with my co-worker, that maybe I've just cracked my own code (yes, I'm foreshadowing possible postings in the future...I didn't just use an obvious metaphor such as "cracking ones code" for nothing!) 

Thanks to all of you that have checked out our Photo Blog...the response has been very positive and helpful! If you haven't checked it out...go here.

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Jeff! Thanks for your comment on my blog, please tell your sister thanks for reading my book - glad she enjoyed it! And well done on your own asskicking efforts, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff,
    I agree with you on the concept of cracking your own code. What works for me, doesn't work for the next person and vice versa. Thankfully, since I found what makes my body respond, I have been able to keep my weight off for nearly five years (I lost a total of 50 lbs). I had always struggled with weight (I think I actually showed up at your family’s cabin in overalls one summer, that was the breaking point…how embarrassing!), but once I found that secret...it has made it so much easier to maintain. I swear the work-outs are what I struggle with...it's easy to limit what you eat with portion control...it's the treadmill I dread! Forget about strength training! Great insight on cracking the code...
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't believe you had 50 pounds to lose?! It's crazy... 5 years! That's amazing...congrats on the maintenance! So much more fun, yeah?!

    The days when I struggle with my food I take a step back and try to remember what it used to be like... a bad day now is never near as a bad day then! Then I feel a little better:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails