February 5, 2009

Another Notch

I've got this belt. It's a pretty normal belt as far as leather belts go. Silver buckle, a few holes and it holds my pants up pretty well. I've had this belt for over 7 years. It's faded, cracked, the stitching by the buckle is frayed and it's actually mishapen from the years of yanking and stretching. There never was any sentimental value for me because it's just a belt.

A few months and about 15-20 pounds ago, Sally and I were visiting her parents up in Bellingham and I was giving my progress report when Dennis looked at me and offered to add a new hole in my belt. My belt wasn't really doing anything but being a waist accessory so I took it off and we went out to the garage to perform surgery…it felt like we were going to go shoot the old horse out back. Maybe it was time to just kill it and get a new one.

With the new hole, my belt worked again and the excess wraps so far around me that I have to pull the belt buckle to the side just so it doesn't hang down like that brief and really bad braided belt trend back in 8th grade (which I was never cool enough to pull off; who's cool now?!). With the revival of my old belt I decided to use it as a reminder of my journey, yeah, yeah all that cliché stuff.

Flash forward to yesterday. I was chatting with my dad (who has embarked on his own quest) and he just added a hole in his belt. I'm not sure if his belt is as uncool or old as mine but I was proud of his achievement because I know what that feels like. I pulled on my pants this morning and as I was blindly trying to buckle the belt (or thread it through the hole) I realized that I'm in need of a new hole. Could that be possible?! Yes, it is true and apparently quite possible so I am adding a new hole and perpetuating my belt's life.

It's more than just another hole though, it's an achievement and I'm keeping it! (I hear Sally groaning)


Old Belt

3 comments:

  1. OK Jeff;
    That is the cutest belt story I have ever heard. It's a good thing Dennis showed you how to add more holes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great feeling isn't it? I finally bit the bullet and bought a new belt recently as it was getting ridiculous having the old one flapping around.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails