February 4, 2009

Mental Hurdle #3 - The Plateau

I welcome the plateau (let me explain). A plateau signifies that things are clicking for me, I'm maintaining my current weight effortlessly, or shall I say, I'm more in tune with the changes I've been making and now I'm used to it. But, it also gives me the perfect opportunity to really break down my habits and make new goals.

Here's what I do everyday (almost):

Wake up, have coffee, have breakfast (always!), catch the bus to work, walk .6 miles to my building, climb 16-23 flights, sit on my butt all day, drink 2 liters of water, eat a PBJ and usually a piece of fruit, walk .3 miles to my bus stop, get home, go for a 4-6 mile jog (or 45 mins of yoga or nothing), then I settle in to figure out my dinner situation.

When I first started this weight-loss thing I was upset when I wasn't losing consistently and drastically but now recognizing a plateau, I will tweak my everyday routine and plan on other ways to make changes. What's next you say? Training for a half-marathon, different weight training routines and I am flirting with the notion of starting a food journal. It is amazing when you write things out, it holds you to your own word and will make you look at it differently. The best way to explain this is write down your age: (for me) 30. Only I know how I perceive this number and all the memories that are associated with it. I have my own time relativity and only I know how old I really feel.

But try this out, write out all the years you've lived consecutively.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30

Wow, yeah I know…I've been doing this exercise recently which would explain the get married, buy a house and have a kid on the way phenomena;)

Embrace the Plateau! Then change something…you'll continue to lose in no time!

2 comments:

  1. The key is to just keep plugging away and not give up. Plateaus can really drain the motivation at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, I remember when I would get so discouraged! I still do but for the most part I'm very positive about them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails