February 21, 2009

Head Games

I've struggled a little this week coming up with things I want to blog about. Is that the right verb, "blog" or should it be "post"?  Having a short week messed with my mind a bit, I kept thinking I had more time that I actually did. I would refer to tomorrow as the day itself...like "on Sunday I will do such and such" when usually I would just say "tomorrow..." 

Or maybe it's just this week? Yesterday (which was Friday) I got off work and didn't feel inspired to do anything. But, I forced myself out the door and jogged 5 miles. I felt great for the first 2 then instead of kicking it into a nice, smooth cruising gear I hit a mental wall. It really made me think about how much of running/jogging really is psychological. It's mind games. I didn't want to be out there and I was in a hurry to get back home...therefore, my run sucked. On Monday when I ran 10.6 miles I had nothing to do and my only goal for the day was a long run. Go figure, it was a great run. 

I guess what I'm really wondering is how beneficial is a workout if you aren't feeling it? Most of the time if I can just get myself started, the funk will subside and the workout seems worthwhile. But, on those occasions (such as yesterday) when I just can't get it to click I feel it was a waste of time. The funny thing is, I still jogged the 5 miles so physically I still "got" the workout. 

I suppose there must be some benefit in at least going through the motions. I had to battle my laziness yesterday and I beat that so that's a win. The next skill to figure out is once I'm out there, how do I enter that blissful feeling of workout goodness. How do I let go of the week's stress and really just focus on how great it feels? Mind you, this only happens once-in-a-while, usually I have no problem getting out there...I usually am looking forward to it!

As for today, possibly our last sunny day for a week or so, what am I going to do? I haven't figured that out. I would love to get down to Greenlake again and at least put in one good lap around the outside...then maybe later on I could do a little yoga to settle myself down and give my tired body a stretch. Battling the head games has been exhausting lately but I'm still progressing which inspires me to get back out there. This morning I weighed 216.5, a new low! 

1 comment:

  1. A lot of the time I only really feel great about my run once it's over. It can sometimes be a real drag actually doing the run. However, on other days every step is a joy so I don't think you are alone.

    That's a fantastic new low by the way! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails