February 22, 2009

Do Your Chores!

Yesterday I concerned myself with the amount of time it would take me to burn the calories of a truffle I ate. Today I'm doing chores. Last weekend, there was a lull in my posting because I was working hard on getting our baby room ready. I painted. I painted the baby room on Saturday, then I painted our room on Sunday. 

This weekend, I escaped the big project list but am left with a house that needs a series of smaller chores done to make it look exceptionally clean. Just the way my prego wife loves it;) Right, honey..."yes, I know, just after I'm done here writing this post...I promise." Geesh, all those years of laughing at my dad's supposed "honey-do" list has come back to bite me!  

In an effort to ease my mind for losing a day of jogging or feeling guilty that I didn't do a proper workout, I set out to find any information on caloric burn potential for the average household chore. I was pleasantly surprised, actually. Lugging that vacuum up and down and all around this house can burn 658 calories for a guy my size in only 30 minutes! That's about how long it takes. I was also surprised to see that my painting effort while beautiful and renaissance-esque, was also a helluva good workout, 490 calories an hour!

Here's another chart that I found out there with some common chores and the burn potential. It hasn't changed my mind on doing them, I still don't love to do them, but if I can work in a workout while doing them then I guess it's worth it...plus it makes the misses happy;)

5 comments:

  1. Hmm...where can I find some grain to shovel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right...ha ha, I thought about cutting out the farming but you just never know! Good luck finding the grain:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably 4 calories. :) Don't make that your routine though or the dogs will get way too fat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails