February 24, 2009

Dream Run - #6 (New York, New York)

A few years back, Sally and I lived in a very small Greenwich Village aparment in Manhattan. The adventure we had out there could fill an entire blog on it's own (or book) so I'll try to limit my excitement to just one of many walks I'd love to go on if we go back. This could very well turn into a Dream Run subset. I find myself gravitating to the things I know (Manhattan, Italy, Spain and pretty much anywhere I've traveled to)…I didn't have the foresight to see how hard it would be to choose somewhere like Bali or Rio and try to come up with a "dream run". If you've been to Manhattan with Sally or myself this isn't too far off what we would've made you endure! We loved torturing, er…touring with our visitors showing them the sites…we had it down, too!

Starting at Bedford and Downing (our apartment) we walk towards SoHo..saying hi to the Joe's on the road (old super). In order to get us through this long journey we have to (MUST) stop at Ben's Pizzeria for a slice of the best NY pizza (in my opinion) on the corner of Thompson and Spring. Refreshed we walk further south on the coolest, cobble-stoned road (and only with trees) in SoHo, Wooster! We swing by Sally's old work then cruise up by mine. It's out to Broadway and up to Bleecker…turning right we head towards the Bowery and see the remains of CBGB (rip). We navigate through a few streets with our sites set on McSorley's Old Ale House…(I see a common theme here reminds me of Dublin).

We then take a small detour to 1st Ave then brings us back to Day 1 when we stayed at a shoddy hostel! We walk down 14th Street (the longest of all the Streets on Manhattan...not Avenues, Streets) to Union Square and turn to head up Broadway to the Flatiron building. We look up at it and then push on across town on another long thoroughfare, 23rd st. We turn on 9th and head back downtown stopping in at the Chelsea Market to see if we can find Emeril. After checking out the market we browse up and down the Meatpacking District. We work our way towards Hudson Street passing Cowgirls and Christian Louboutin along the way. After enjoying our favorite stretch of the Far West Village we head back to Bedford, across 7th and back to our 400 sq. foot place we called home. I guess it would be weird to go back there now since we don't live there, but hey this is my dream run:)


Here's a picture of Ben's...oh how I love it so!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff!
    That's a great route for a run! We walked for hours in the same area a few years ago. Between cupcakes, red wine and our favorite Italian place on Mulberry street...it was all over:)! Wish we could go back to Manhattan! We'll have to try Ben's pizza place next time. We tried Famous Joe's Pizza on 7th and Carmine. Needless to say we blew our diet that day:)!
    Shane & Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...Carmine and 7th...music to my ears! I love NY:) Carmine and 7th is a block or so from where we lived;) Awesome neighborhood and totally understandable about the blown diet!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails