January 25, 2009

Mental Hurdle - #2

Diet and exercise, diet and exercise...I got so tired of hearing that's all it took. I would do the tricky, day-to-day "balancing" of what I thought was right. It usually included whatever I want whenever I wanted. With the help of Sally we started identifying all of my trouble areas when it came to eating. Slowly we started changing them and I found out that it really was indeed diet and exercise.

One day I was at work and found myself feeling very lethargic after lunch at work. That night I told Sally about it and we thought I should try something else. I took only a half sandwich, a piece of fruit and some crackers. It was crazy...I had been eating way more than I needed. I sit ALL day at work so I don't need a ton of calories to maintain. It was a Eureka moment for me and it made me excited to figure some more things out. 

I started making sure I ate breakfast! This is hugely important...I read a quote about how to think of the meals we eat. "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." Think about it and give it a try.

While I was reigning in the amount of food I was eating I was simultaneously eating better foods. More fruits and vegetables (of course), more organics (everything I could afford), less fried foods, less fatty foods...and as time went on and I got healthier I stopped wanting things like chips, beer and other high calorie foods. 

It was difficult letting go of some of these comfort foods but as time went on and my goals became more a part of my daily life the easier it got to stay away from them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails